Before the Reformation, the church image in Tønder was a different, somewhat more varied image than what we know today. In addition to the churches Sct. Laurentius and Sct. Nicolai (the predecessor of the Church of Christ), the ecclesiastical image was dominated by the "Gråbrødreklostret" and the "Abbey Church". The city also had one or two chapels immediately outside the city limits. However, these churches we know very little about except one, Sct. Nicolai, who survived the Reformation. Its foundations date from various sources to dating back to about 1350. The Nicolaic church was demolished in 1591 due to a bust, however the tower and the west end were preserved, to which the new church building, Christ Church - was added. In 1593, the parish priest Andreas Thomæus hung a chalkboard in the new church with a Latin inscription that reads: “Here, in the place of the former narrow and dilapidated church, began in the year 1591 of Christ, the day before May 1, to build the new (church) up to the old tower, and partly by the favor and generosity of the venerable and renowned prince, Mr Johan Adolf, Archbishop of Bremen, Bishop of Lübeck, heir to Norway, Duke of Schleswig, Holstein, Stormarn and Ditmarsken, Count of Oldenborg and Delmenhorst, and partly by the grants and works of this city, it was solemnly consecrated on July 25, 1592 and October 4, to Christ our Savior and to holy use. " To this is added: "In September, 1686, the top of the tower, by the lightning of the wrath of God, was crashed to the height of eight cubits, but by the grace of Sami was happily restored the following month."
The church is always open to tourists during regular business hours.