Sign up for our newsletter
Receive offers, news, experiences and much more from us and our players.
Not all sights cost to experience, We have collected all the free sights so you can get a clear overview of what you can see here in the Romo Tønder area
The church in Bredebro is located on the bypass road around the bridge and stands beautifully on an elevation above the broad river.
Inside the church you will find beautiful paintings from the 17th century and a large beautiful church ship.
Before the Reformation, the church image in Tønder was a different, somewhat more varied image than what we know today. In addition to the churches Sct. Laurentius and Sct. Nicolai (the predecessor of the Church of Christ), the ecclesiastical image was dominated by the "Gråbrødreklostret" and the "Abbey Church". The city also had one or two chapels immediately outside the city limits. However, these churches we know very little about except one, Sct. Nicolai, who survived the Reformation. Its foundations date from various sources to dating back to about 1350. The Nicolaic church was demolished in 1591 due to a bust, however the tower and the west end were preserved, to which the new church building, Christ Church - was added. In 1593, the parish priest Andreas Thomæus hung a chalkboard in the new church with a Latin inscription that reads: “Here, in the place of the former narrow and dilapidated church, began in the year 1591 of Christ, the day before May 1, to build the new (church) up to the old tower, and partly by the favor and generosity of the venerable and renowned prince, Mr Johan Adolf, Archbishop of Bremen, Bishop of Lübeck, heir to Norway, Duke of Schleswig, Holstein, Stormarn and Ditmarsken, Count of Oldenborg and Delmenhorst, and partly by the grants and works of this city, it was solemnly consecrated on July 25, 1592 and October 4, to Christ our Savior and to holy use. " To this is added: "In September, 1686, the top of the tower, by the lightning of the wrath of God, was crashed to the height of eight cubits, but by the grace of Sami was happily restored the following month."
The church is always open to tourists during regular business hours.
The old "Security North" is the fortification line that was built by the Germans in northern Germany, which today is Denmark. Security position North was built in the years 1916-1918 to protect Germany against attacks from the north. Hedging position North extends across present-day South Jutland. From the east by Hoptrup, to Skærbæk in the west. 800 bunkers were built across southern Jutland, these are the remains of those you can see and explore.
After the reunification in 1920, most of the security position North was destroyed, but some of them have been preserved and are seen and experienced. Below you can see a map of Fuse North and where there is still the opportunity to experience some of the old fuse.
NB. The pictures are from Gammelskov battery in Agerskov.
Trøjborg Slotsruin is located approximately 12 km north of Tønder in Visby in southern Jutland. The name Trøjborg is probably derived from the Greek Troja.
The castle was built in the 1300s on a 30 × 30 m bank. In 1347, Trøjborg is mentioned in a letter from Duke Valdemar of Southern Jutland as Duke Valdemar Atterdag's castle. In 1407 it came into the possession of Queen Margaret, but later it was mortgaged to Ribe diocese.
After the Reformation in Denmark in 1536, the clergy were granted the crown, and King Frederick II transferred the castle to Daniel Rantzau as a thank you for his profits in the war against the Swedes. Around 1580, Peter Rantzau demolished the original medieval castle to erect a Renaissance castle on the site instead. When the Rantzau genus became extinct in 1658, the castle slowly decayed.
In the first half of the 19th century Johan Ferdinand de Neergaard was the owner. In 1851, Trøjborg was purchased by farmer Knud Lausten Knudsen, who had plans to set up a teacher's seminary on the site, but when these plans were not realized, the castle was demolished in 1854. Parts of the south wall and basement have been preserved.
At the far west is the flat marsh landscape and the Wadden Sea.
Here are vast expanses and a horizon so endless that one can feel quite small on the edge of the sea. The Wadden Sea is, at one moment, a dry bottom, as far as the eye can see, and a few hours later completely flooded by the sea.
The Vidåslus and the Forested Dike protect the entire 12,000 hectares of Tønder marshland and 15,000 inhabitants from flooding from the Wadden Sea.
Højer old locks
The old sluice in Höjer, west of Tønder, was built at the same time as the Höjer-Siltoft dike in 1861. Previously, the ships were able to sail freely into the Höjer Canal. With an open lock in the dike, ships with mast could sail into the port of Höjer, which was built within the dike.
The new lock of Højer was completed in 1981. It consists of three concrete chambers with two wooden sluice gates each. There is a car park and a restaurant close to the lock
Boat people at Vidåen
A time frame from around 1900. From the turn of the century until 1920, there were more than 100 fishermen employed at Rudbøl lake and along Vidåen. Today there are only 15 left. One of the most visible memories from the first time is the old fishing house, built approx. 1870. With this house as its center, in the early 1990s, it succeeded in restoring this ancient environment, in order to show visitors how a small group of citizens lived, worked and worked over 100 years ago. Use the parking space at Höjers Sluse. From here you can walk on the footpath over the dike to the exhibition.
Right at the mills there is a small exhibition building which tells about the Wadden Sea and the drainage of the meadows. The turbines can always be viewed from the outside. In winter, however, the wind turbines are packed away so that they do not suffer unnecessary damage from wind and weather.
History: After the abolition of the staveband in 1788, many improvements in Danish agriculture were made. Among other things. many aquatic soils were drained. In 1836 Ballum meadows were exchanged between the peasants, and in the following years ditches were dug and built dikes. At the exchange, where each farmer got his share of the meadow, some peasant animals were cut off from access to drinking water. In 1841, therefore, a community was established, investing in Archimedes screws that could lift water from the fresh Brede river to irrigate the animals. In 1842 two pumping mills were built according to Dutch design. The mills were made entirely of wood, and in the 1890s they were worn out, and new iron mills were built. These mills operated until 1965. The water, which was collected from Brede river, was distributed to the meadows via dug trenches.
Ballum Sluse is a sluice mill at the outlet of Brede Å in Southern Jutland. The nearby Ballum Slusekro is part of the whole. 3 km south of the Romo dam, on the coast road between the dam and Ballum.
History: The builder's designer was Hinrich's dough engineer, while the plant itself was handled by Philip Holzmann & Co. Construction began in 1914, but was delayed by World War I, which was declared the same year. Much of the construction work was imposed on French and Russian prisoners of war. In 1915 the actual sluice mill was completed.
In 1920 the area became Danish again at the Reunion. From 1786 the ferry crossing took place from Bådsbøl-Ballum to Rømø. Around 1900, a motor ferry sailed from Skærbæk Brohoved north of the current dam; but later the ferry route moved back to Bådsbøl-Ballum, until after the Reunion it was transferred to the newly built Ballum Sluse, where a jetty was constructed. From there, the ferry continued to Rømø from 1923 until the dam was inaugurated in 1948.
The sculpture garden is an area around the Amtmandens garden, Bachmann's Water Mill and Vidåen, which form the frame for a number of beautiful sculptures in Tonder.
In 2008, the Tønder Handelsstandsforening set up an Arts Committee, which with the profits from the association's 100th anniversary in 2006 was to work for an artistic decoration of the public urban space in Tønder.
The starting capital of DKK 75,000 has since grown into a million-class art, ranging from the first fine “Emma”, who looks out over her city - to the recently inaugurated, six meters high, “The King and Queen” by Swedish Claes Hake.
The area around Møgeltønder has proud historical traditions - this is where the Golden Horn was found more than 350 years ago. The historic barn Slotfelt at Schackenborg has been restored and made the focal point for the dissemination of the region's history, art and culture. Behind the new Guldhorn- & Kulturcenter Slotfelt stands Schackenborg Estate, Tønder Municipality and Realdania.
Opening hours are daily at. 10 am - 5 pm through week 42.
The horns were found individually in two laps. The girl Kirsten Svendsdatter found the long golden horn on July 20, 1639, and on April 21, 1734, the short horn was found by the husbandman Erik Lassen.
Both horns were found near Møgeltønder at Gallehus, which is 10 min. walking and 2 min. drive from Schackenborg Castle.
However, you can learn a lot about the Golden Hornets in Lock field loading in Møgeltønder.
Write your feedback anonymously here in our form